10 Things You Didn’t Know Are Poisonous to Dogs

Dog Care, Fast Facts

Both Dog Jogs Owners, Steph, and Nikki have been teaching Pet First Aid classes in Edmonton since 2018 when they became Walks ‘N’ Wags Pet First Aid Instructors. They took pet first aid before starting up Dog Jogs, and they speak about the event that made them want to take a pet first aid class, during each class they teach.

Steph and Nikki wanted to share some of the information that they learned so all pet parents in Edmonton can be a little more prepared if the unthinkable, a pet emergency, happens.

March 16-22 is National Animal Poison Prevention Week, and all of March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month they figured there couldn’t be a better time to share this post!

You probably know that chocolate, grapes, and antifreeze are poisonous for our pets, but here is a list of 10 things you maybe didn’t know could be deadly for them:

  1. Aloe Vera — A common house plant, that if ingested, will most likely cause your dog or cat to have diarrhea or vomiting — which is a relief as it’s not life-threatening, but suffice to say it could get messy!
  2. Bleeding Hearts —A beautiful flower that pets should not eat! It most likely won’t kill them, but again they won’t be feeling well, and you’ll be pulling out the cleaning supplies.
  3. Bread Dough —If ingested, bread dough expands in the warm, moist environment of the stomach of a pet and can result in a bloated tummy, which can lead to gastric-dilatation volvulus (GDV) which is a twisted stomach, which is deadly if not treated immediately.
  4. Caffeine — Most households consume caffeine, and it can be deadly to your pet. A few laps of coffee or pop will not contain enough caffeine to cause poisoning in most pets, but the ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds, tea bags, or 1–2 diet pills can easily cause death in small dogs.
  5. Chives — It’s in the Allium family, which includes onions, garlic, and leeks, and all of these foods can cause lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, and increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse.
  6. Coins —If you suspect your dog or cat ingested a metal piece or coin, an x-ray should be done immediately.
  7. Flea Collar — When flea collars are accidentally ingested or placed on your pet incorrectly, they can become life-threatening.
  8. Macadamia Nuts — These generally cause a mild reaction, but it’s still frightening to see a pet suffering from lethargy, increased body temperature, vomiting, tremors, joint stiffness, and inability to walk.
  9. Mouldy Food — It’s annoying when your dog gets into the garbage, but if they discover mouldy food in there, it can cause vomiting, agitation, tremors, seizures, and severe secondary hyperthermia.
  10. Toads — We’re lucky in Edmonton not to have toads, but if you’re traveling with your dog, to a place where toads live, be aware that certain species of toads can be very poisonous and the side effects can happen within minutes and lead to death.

In any event, where you think you’re pet has consumed something they shouldn’t, take them to the Veterinarian immediately!!

If you have any questions about Walk ‘N’ Wags Pet First Aid, signing up for a class or setting up a private course, feel free to email us!