10 Things You Didn’t Know Are Poisonous to Dogs

Dog Care, Fast Facts

Dog Face

Both Steph and myself were recently certified in pet first aid, and wanted to share some of the information that we learned in class so you can be a little more prepared when the unthinkable (a pet emergency) happens.

With March 19–25 being National Animal Poison Prevention Week we figured there couldn’t be a better time to share this post! We often hear that chocolate, grapes, and antifreeze are poisonous for our pets, but here is a list of 10 things you maybe didn’t know would be poisonous for them:

In any event where you think you’re pet has consumed something they shouldn’t, take them to the Veterinarian immediately!!

  1. Aloe Vera — A common house plant that if ingested will most likely cause your dog or cat to have diarrhea or vomiting — which is a relief as it’s not life-threatening, but suffice to say it could get messy!
  2. Bleeding Hearts — A beautiful flower that pets should not eat! It most likely wont kill them, but again they won’t be feeling well and you’ll be pulling out the cleaning supplies.
  3. Bread Dough — When ingested the dough expands in the warm, moist environment of the stomach and can result in a bloated tummy which can lead to a gastric-dilatation volvulus (GDV) which is a twisted stomach, and can be deadly if not treated immediately.
  4. Caffeine — Caffeine can be found throughout most households and it can be deadly to your pet. A few laps of coffee or pop will not contain enough caffeine to cause poisoning in most pets, but the ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds, tea bags, or 1–2 diet pills can easily cause death in small dogs.
  5. Chives — It’s in the Allium family, which includes onions, garlic, and leeks, and all of these foods can cause lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse.
  6. Coins — If you suspect your dog or cat ingested a metal piece or coin, an x-ray should be done immediately.
  7. Flea Collar — When flea collars are accidentally ingested or placed on your pet incorrectly they can become life threatening.
  8. Macadamia Nuts — These generally cause a mild reaction, but it’s still frightening to see a pet suffering from lethargy, increased body temperature, vomiting, tremors, joint stiffness, and inability to walk.
  9. Mouldy Food — It’s annoying when your dog gets into the garbage, but if they discover mouldy food in there it can cause vomiting, agitation, tremors, seizures, and severe secondary hyperthermia.
  10. Toads — We’re lucky in Edmonton not to have toads, but if you’re traveling with your dog to a place where toads live, be aware that certain species of toads can be very poisonous and the side affects can happen within minutes and lead to death.

If you have any questions about things that may be poisonous to your dog or any other pet first aid matter, feel free to drop us a line!